Latest Job Career in Nigeria: Migration Data Assistant 2013
Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 27 Dec 2013
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Nigeria, and in close Collaboration with the Migration data expert and the IBM Unit at HQs, the successful candidate will support the establishment of information management systems in the mission. He/She will also contribute to the development and implementation of a migration data management strategy, a component of the multi-year European Commission (EC) – funded IOM Project, “Promoting Better Management of Migration in Nigeria”.
Core functions / responsibilities
1. Support the design and standardization of data collection templates as appropriate and contribute to the training of IOM counterparts/stakeholders and staff in the use of such primary tools.
2. Develop with MDAs data collection methodologies in accordance with identified data collections task.
3. Recommend appropriate database structures for IOM counterparts/partners and develop compatibility thereof enabling linkages and ensure that these composite databases are ‘talking’ to each other.
4. Support baseline assessments and identification of data coordination gaps of key migration data management Ministries, Departments and Agencies in Nigeria which have been identified as target groups for the project interventions.
5. Identify emerging issues relevant to the Migration thematic area and contribute to the development of thematic policy and reports.
6. Identify anticipated synergies between agencies in the Migration thematic areas in close coordination with the Project Development Officer (PDO), where feasible.
7. Support IOM mission establish a concise information management Unit.
8. Improve the capacity of the target groups in migration data information analysis and support the processing and analyzing backlog of migration data.
9. Recommend on the options for increased mobilization of migration data as a whole through the Migration Thematic working group.
10. Contribute to ensuring the delivery of quality thematic training to government as required by IOM Nigeria mission.
11. Undertake any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
a) takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism; b) works effectively with all clients and stakeholders; c) promotes continuous learning: communicates clearly; d) takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management; e) plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility; f) displays mastery of subject matter; g) contributes to a collegial team environment; h) creates a respectful office environment free of harassment and retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA); i) incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation.
a)works effectively with government officials of appropriate level on matters related to substantive migration data and profiles issue and the work of IOM; b) effectively applies knowledge of data migration issues within organizational context; c) correctly frames migration issues within the political context; d) knowledge of administrative and procedural aspects of EU migration and migration data management standards; e) understands Database design methodology in the conceptual, logical and physical phases.
Desirable Qualifications and Experiences
a) completed degree from an accredited academic institution, preferably in Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations and/or Law, b) a minimum of five years of experience in the field of migration issues including operational and field experience; c) demonstrated expertise in the thematic area relevant to project development; d) experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions, the UN and NGOs; e)knowledge of integrated database management systems a bonus; Experience of working on Migration issues or an EU sponsored project will be an added advantage
Thorough knowledge of written and spoken English.
How to apply:
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to email address email@example.com on or before 27 December, 2013.
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to The Chief of Mission, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line VN2013_30 (O)-NAT Migration Data Assistant.
All applications should include a functional e-mail address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV). Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian Nationals applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.