Latest Job Vacancy at APM Terminals for Yard Supervisor in Nigeria 2013
APM Terminals, we are a team of over 20,000 employees spread across more than 60 countries united by a passion to provide our expertise in port operations and container management services. By providing the expertise and port infrastructure essential to world trade, we actively support the advancement of the societies around us, enabling local economies to unlock their potential and build an even stronger global community. Working with a team of talented professionals you will get a chance to experience different cultures and make friends all over the world. You’ll find a culturally diverse, stimulating environment at any of our offices, terminals or depots. When you join APM Terminals, the world is your workplace.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position:
Job Title: Yard Supervisor
Job Location: Lagos
- Ensures that all Gate, Rail, Quay and Customs activities are completed as planned;
- Ensures compliance with standard operating procedures, company policies, local regulations and international standards;
- Supervises Yard and Rail activities and coordinates with Control to meet terminal objectives;
- Effectively use yard plans to monitor and arrange movement of equipment as appropriate;
- Work in partnership with Planning, Gate, Quay and Maintenance to ensure that quay operations, customs inspections, scanning, rail loading and truck turn time targets are met;
- Effectively use verbal and written communication with Control to maintain adequate customer service levels;
- Instructs subordinates in safe working practices;
- Lead emergency response procedures, assist incident investigations, identify hazards, complete Safe Behaviour Observations, Yard Audits and assist in risk assessments;
- Actively participates in HSE and Security incident reviews and monthly safety meetings;
- Ensures that all subordinates know their accountabilities through regular meetings, feedback sessions, performance reviews, Toolbox Talks, and sharing of relevant company information;
- Develop, communicate and agree on established objectives, terminal targets and deadlines with subordinates;
- Counsels subordinates, and where necessary, takes remedial action up to and including termination recommendations;
- Develop staff by identifying and scheduling training (including “On the Job”, Instructor Led and online training) to ensure that personal growth is attained and terminal targets are met.
- Completes reports as required;
- Reports all security, injury, damage and environmental incidents to the shift manager and HSSE;
- Ensures that the labour allocation and continuous work patterns for the shift are being adhered to;
- Follows up on vacation scheduling, casual leave, absenteeism, and punctuality to ensure terminal requirements are met;
- Completes assigned projects within the agreed upon deadlines;
- Performs other duties as required;
Who we are looking for
- Ordinary National Diploma (OND) in Management, Logistics, Business Administration or related discipline.
- Comprehensive understanding of container terminal operations, especially vessel cargo logistics, hazardous cargo, and special cargo handling requirements and equipment. (Hazmat, LOLER, and PUWER certifications are beneficial)
- Two years experience in a container operations environment, or similar, related industry.
- Ability to work under pressure in order to meet operational performance objectives and deadlines.
- Experience with customer service, marketing, public relations, public speaking, or coaching is beneficial.
- Previous experience of working in a multi cultural environment is an advantage.
- Experience with information technology systems (Terminal Operating System experience including Express and Navis Sparcs is preferred)
- Proven leadership capabilities with history of career progression
- Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills combined with good counselling and listening skills.
- Excellent command of English oral and written communications.
- Familiarity with one or more of the local languages (Pidgin, Yoruba, Hausa, and Ibo) is beneficial.
- Valid Driver’s Licence.
- Must be able to work rotating day and night shifts.
- Must be able to work outdoors in hot and cool temperatures in direct sunlight.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment including, but not limited to: Helmet, Safety Boots, Reflective Vest, Eye Protection and Hearing protection.
Mode of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should apply online
Application Deadline: 25th December, 2013