UNDP jobs career in Nigeria 2013
UNDP Recruits for the position of a Programme Analyst to helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the below position:
Job Title: Programme Analyst – Poverty and Gender
Location: Abuja, NIGERIA
Additional Category: Women’s Empowerment
Type of Contract: FTA Local
Post Level: NO-B
Duration of Initial Contract: Initial duration of one year
The UNDP Country Office in Nigeria is implementing the 7th Country Programme agreed and signed in November 2008 with the Federal Government of Nigeria. The 7th CP runs from 2009 – 2013 and includes the following programmes; Poverty and Strategy, Governance and Peacebuilding, Sustainability and Risk Management Programmes. These are implemented within the context of the United Nations Development Assistance Framework II for Nigeria through several Federal agencies, 14 States and other Nigerian partners.
The Poverty and Strategy Programme of UNDP is part of a larger agenda to reduce poverty by facilitating entrepreneurial activities, employment generation, enhancing human development and promoting the MDGs in Nigeria and assist the coordination of the fight against HIV/AIDS. It is a deliberate attempt to nurture growth in the non-oil sector of the economy using the ‘inclusive markets’ approach to create opportunities and enhance security of the poor. In particular, activities will aim at promoting enterprises (MSMEs, SMEs etc.) thus allowing the private sector to make a greater contribution to growth, employment and income generation associated with economic opportunities and securities of the poor.
The Programme Analyst (PA) will act as the anchor for the poverty and gender work of the office and will work under the guidance of the Deputy Country Director – Programmes and the direct supervision of the Poverty Team Leader. The PA will work with others to translate programme documents into robust and innovative strategies to achieve measurable programme results. S/he will be a specialist especially in the field of gender with explicit experience in poverty reduction. S/he will bring to the CO expertise and knowledge of best practices. Also, s/he is expected to contribute to knowledge building and build partnership with other stakeholders. S/he will also support resource mobilization efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Programme development
- Facilitation of knowledge services and capacity development
- Building of strategic partnerships
- Project implementation and management
1.) Function / Expected Results: Programme development.
- Act as the country office gender focal point, mainstreaming women empowerment and gender mainstreaming into UNDP’s overall portfolio;
- Contribute to programme and project formulation and support development and implementation of effective poverty and gender strategies and policies;
- Facilitate partnerships between government and non-government actors and UNDP Nigeria’s country office through a combination of advisory and capacity building services, thus creating opportunity to strengthen national capacities for poverty alleviation and gender equality;
- Provide support to and be directly involved in the programmes’s capacity building efforts;
- Identify opportunities to enhance cross team working to capitalize on the specific advantages of multi-disciplinary support;
- Contribute to policy advice services to the Government and facilitate knowledge building and management.
2.) Function / Expected Results: Facilitation of knowledge services and capacity development.
- Undertake knowledge capture at national, regional and global levels in the areas of development policy, gender mainstreaming, private sector development, employment generation and produce knowledge-based products as relevant;
- Research and analyze case studies of poverty analysis in a gender-sensitive manner, study donor programmes for intervention in Nigeria’s in related fields;
- Provide knowledge building and policy advisory services on best practices in pro-poor and pro-women policies;
- Develop the capacity of project staff and government counterparts in the development and implementation of programmes that target poverty reduction and gender mainstreaming.
3.) Function / Expected Results: Building of strategic partnerships.
- Mobilize and network with the experts of national and regional offices of the UN System, international development organizations, sub-regional and regional associations, affiliations and bodies (inter-governmental, non-government or private sector) and prominent private sector organizations;
- Undertake national and international networking with government ministries, departments and agencies, donors and development agencies, national and international NGOs, academic institutions and civil society organizations to promote and improve knowledge of private sector development in Nigeria;
- Undertake coordination functions with on-going and proposed projects in poverty reduction, gender and women and youth empowerment.
4.) Function / Expected Results: Programme implementation and management.
- Provide technical support, advice and capacity building to programme team members and the various project teams in areas of poverty and gender analysis;
- Ensure consistency of the CO PSD programmes with UNDAF/CPAP priorities;
- Provide inputs into the preparation and implementation of the annual results based work plans, result frameworks and reports as endorsed by the management;
- Provide support to M & E and the preparation of progress reports, briefings, etc;
- Participate in coordination functions through membership in thematic working groups and task forces.
Impact of Results
The position will strengthen UNDP Nigeria’s contributions to national policy dialogue, visioning and strategic improvement and contribution to poverty reduction and gender-sensitive policies and development in Nigeria. The PA will ensure that UNDP’s policy, programme, capacity development and knowledge work are responsive to Nigeria’s need and priorities in the areas of pro-poor and pro-women development.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UNDP Practice Areas and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development
- Ability to provide top quality policy advice services on economic issues
- Established track record of delivering strong analytical products with policy relevance
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, propose new approaches which expand the range of programmes
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
Management and Leadership
- Ability to interact with policy officials at the highest levels of society
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback
- Encourages risk-taking in the pursuit of creativity and innovation
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economic Development, Economics, Gender Studies and other social science and/or related discipline.
- At least 5 years experience in planning at national and/or international level with focus on poverty reduction, inclusive growth and gender.
- Demonstrated ability to engage at the high level with donors and development agencies, government officials and UN Agencies.
- Knowledge of best practices and policies in the fields of poverty and gender.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a cross-cultural setting.
- High-level computing skills in word processing, spreadsheets, power point, and preferably web pages;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and at least one Nigerian language
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Application Closing Date
11th March, 2013
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should
Click here to apply online