Jobs vacancy at The West and Central African Council for Agricultural Research Development (CORAF/WECARD) 2013
The West Africa Seed Program will be implemented under the ECOWAS Regulation C/REG. 3/05/2008 on the Harmonization of Rules Governing Quality Control, Certification and Marketing of Plant Seeds and Seedlings in ECO WA S Region. The Goal of WASP is to expand both the production and supply of quality improved certified seed, both OPVs and hybrids, from the current 12 to 25% over the five years of the program. The General objective is to contribute to the sustainable improvement of agricultural productivity.
The West and Central African Council for Agricultural Research Development (CORAF/WECARD) is advertising for the post of a and National Seed Specialist under the West Africa Seed Program (WASP).
Job Title: National Seed Specialist
RFA Number: USAIDIW A-RFA-624-12-00005
- The National Seed Specialist will be based in Nigeria. He/she will report to the WASP Chief of Party through the National Coordinator of WAAPP.
- This contract will be for an initial period of twenty four months, subject to a positive performance review during the first year. The contract may be renewed based on satisfactory performance and availability of financial resources for the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
The National Seed Specialist will assume the following main roles:
- Support the implementation of the ECOWAS Seed Regulation C/REG.3/05/2008 in-country
- Support the functioning of national level seed alliance to ensure synergy creation and complementarily among stakeholders and partners
- Support the National Agricultural Research Systems in assessing and strengthening human, technical and infrastructural capacity needs and in planning and production the required quantities of quality breeder seeds Support functional capacity strengthening of the National Seed Trade Associations (NSTAs)
- Support programs to strengthen the technical and agri-business capacities of national and regional agri-dealer networks (NSTA members), the private sector and public sector institutions in the production and marketing of quality foundation and certified seeds
- Demonstrate to stakeholders (farmers, public and private sector) the benefits and options for investing in improved seeds
- Facilitate linkage of the output market to the seed market to drive demand for improved seeds
- This position will be held by someone with at least B.Sc. in Seed Technology, Agronomy, Plant Breeding or related subjects.
- He/she should be knowledgeable in the agricultural research and development and seed systems in-country, having worked for at least 10 years in the seed sector with focus on the production and marketing of Breeder, Foundation and Certified seeds.
- He/she should have experience in working with the private sector and multi-national companies will be an advantage.
- He/she shall be capable for managing the national office and facilitate linkages with national stakeholders and partners, organizing national-level training and supporting the management of grants in-country.
- He/she should have the ability to provide advisory and technical support to the implementation, monitoring, and improvement of seed production targets in-country
- He/she should have the ability to work with, coordinate and inspire, multidisciplinary teams in a multi-partner environment, and to engage in both local and high level policy dialogue;
- He/she should have the ability to represent CORAF/WECARD in
- consultations with governments and bilateral partners, and civil society;
- He/she should have the ability to contribute to maintaining constructive working environment and excellent relationships with national and international stakeholders;
- He/she should be willingness to travel extensively in-country and sub- regionally;
- The candidate should possess excellent English and/or French oral and written communication skills.
- The candidate must be a national of a CORAF/WECARD member state.
Salary and remuneration will depend on the skills, experience and track record of the successful applicant, and will be competitive. CORAF/WECARD invests heavily in creating a culture of quality, professionalism, mutual support and team work. It creates opportunities for continuing formal and informal professional development and training.
Application Closing Date
10th February, 2013
Method of Application
Interested person should submit 10 copies of application letters, curriculum vitae and photocopies of credentials to the National Coordinator of WAAPP Nigeria through the following address:
No. 32 Constitution Avenue, Gaduwa Estate,
Gudu District, Abuja.
Only shortlisted candidates would be contacted through their e-mails or mobile phones.