Knowledge Management Specialist jobs at UNDP Nigeria 2013
We are recruiting to fill the below position:
Job Title: Knowledge Management Specialist
Location : Abuja, Nigeria
The Agriculture Transformation Agenda (ATA), unveiled by the Honourable Minister for Agriculture presented opportunities for the provision of technical assistance and other support to the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD) for the scale up of positive inclusive markets experience in Nigeria. The ATA is aimed at establishing a sustainable agriculture and agribusiness in Nigeria to raise the income of rural farmers. UNDP through its project, Facility for Inclusive Markets (FIM) has offered to support the Government of Nigeria (GoN) in key demand areas that include developing and implementing key value chains in agriculture and agro-industry and enhancing inclusiveness. FIM will also work towards its goal of catalysing the scale up of positive Inclusive Market experience in Nigeria and as a platform for capturing knowledge in and out of Nigeria.
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) is providing, through UNDP, long term technical assistance to the Agricultural Transformation Implementation Group (ATIG) as the organ established by the FMARD to implement the Agricultural Transformation Agenda. This support will complement the UNDP-FIM project and ensure the successful delivery of the goals of the ATA. This project will provide critical technical expertise to strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development to successfully implement the ATA. The UNDP-BMGF technical assistance to FMARD will support term technical assistance for capacity development and the expansion of value chains in agriculture and agro-industry, institutional policy support and direct intervention to farmers and other small holder value chain actors that are vital to ensuring inclusiveness and sustainable results in the creation of business opportunities and jobs at the grassroots.
To be able to effectively execute the transformation plan, the office of the Minister requires the support of a professional Knowledge Management Specialist to develop a comprehensive and interactive knowledge management strategy and plan, which seeks to respond to the demand for a multidimensional private sector-wide platform for agriculture. The Knowledge Management unit will promote the development and availability of cutting-edge research and development materials and up-to-date information, data and knowledge on agriculture and agribusiness and economic empowerment.
DPF Development Project Funded Post.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Knowledge Management specialist will support the Agricultural Policy, Planning Research and Statistics Department and will have the following responsibilities:
- Lead the development of a knowledge management strategy and associated implementation plan for the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development and the Agricultural Transformation Agenda with the Directorate for Policy Research and Statistics Department which constitutes the knowledge hub for all matters pertaining to agriculture in Nigeria.
- Develop a comprehensive mapping of agriculture data and information sources, with specific institutional roles and responsibilities, and systems and processes for collecting, managing, and sharing data and information with policymakers other stakeholders.
- Develop an elaborate Monitoring and Evaluation framework for tracking and assessing progress and performance of the implementation of the Agriculture Transformation Agenda.
- Create a mechanism for capturing and documenting key successful interventions of ATA and work with the communications unit to package them into knowledge products such as success stories and newsletters for dissemination to stakeholder audience within and outside Nigeria.
- Develop a fully operational knowledge management system in which relevant data information and knowledge on ATA and issues pertaining to agriculture in Nigeria in general, are systematically acquired, continuously upgraded and disseminated internally and externally to counterparts partners, donors, media and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Ensure that the Ministry has an up-to-date easy-to-access database of lessons learned and best practices in the areas of policy innovation, programme planning, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation to influence the Ministry’s Policy programme guidance and policy dialogue, programmatic evidence based knowledge and evaluations are gathered, extracted, managed and disseminated on an on-going basis.
- Create a systemised approach for guiding on going analyses needed to address observed gaps and for identifying opportunities for innovation and policymaking/adjustments drawing on data and information from evaluations carried out on the FMARD; and lessons learned and best practices from with the country and abroad.
- Oversee capacity building and support for internal knowledge acquisition, management and sharing; ensure relevant communities of practice are developed and strengthened. Support development of staff, consultants and key partners and collaborators to become “knowledge professionals” through the identification of learning opportunities to ensure a pipeline of professional expertise and advice on all aspects of knowledge management as required.
- Corporate Competencies:
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of management projects
- Solid knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement,
- information and communication technology, general administration
- Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
- Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in social policy research and analysis, agribusiness or international development.
- Advanced degree in other social and behavioural sciences, development research, or development planning
- Seven years experience in the design and development of knowledge management systems, organizational development, business process improvement, or organizational/systems change management.
- Deep knowledge of Nigeria and the ability to navigate the Nigerian system to achieve results.
- Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in one national language is desired.
Application Closing Date
24th January, 2013
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online