Programme Officer (APSA-SP) at ECOWAS Commission (1 Position) – Abuja Nigeria 2013
The main purpose of APSA is to promote peace and security in Africa, specifically through conflict prevention, management, resolution and peace building as as well as capacity development
APF is sponsored by the 10th European Development Fund. Under APSA, the ECOWAS Commission is benefitting from two projects, namely the APSA Support Programme (APSA-SP) up to December 2014 and the EU Support to African Training Institutions/Training Centers of Excellence (TI-TCE). Officially the two projects are expected to run respectively till 31 December 2014 and 31 January 2013.
In order to fast-track the implementation of APSA, the ECOWAS Commission is seeking the services of qualified professionals to fill the below position.
Job Title: Programme Officer (APSA-SP) – (1 X)
Department: Office of the President
Directorate: ECOWAS Peace Fund
Annual Salary: USD 36,901 – USD 44,469
Supervisor: Manager, ECOWAS Peace Fund
Duration: Two (2) years – up to Dec. 2014
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- The Programme Officer is responsible for monitoring, supporting stakeholders and reporting on the implementation of the project.
- He or she will be responsible for aggregating and assessing data, making them available to the project and its’ stakeholders, as well as producing coherent and comprehensive reports on the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
He or she will have the following specific responsibilities:
- Follow up the implementation of the project while considering measurable output, outcome and impact indicators
- Liaise with all relevant stakeholders regarding implementation of the projects, identify and track follow-up actions; Provide information and guidance to increase impact and cost effectiveness.
- Initiate relevant activities for the successful implementation of the project Draft relevant sections of the project reports to donors
- Manage project information and channel internal and external requests to the relevant parties;
- Undertake field visits and communicate with people
- Participate in occasional meetings with the projects Stakeholders
- At the end of a project, ensure that the Project Completion Report (PCR) is prepared following AUC guidelines on content and format
- Perform any other relevant tasks that may be assigned by the Manager of EPF
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a relevant field related to conflict prevention, peace keeping, post-conflict reconstruction or socio-economic development;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in monitoring, evaluating and reporting on projects;
- Excellent skills (written and spoken) in one of ECOWAS official languages (English, French, Portuguese). A working knowledge in one of the two others would be an advantage;
- Computer proficiency (MS Office-Word-Excel-PowerPoint as a minimum);
- Excellent analytical and organisational management skills and good inter-personal skills. Similar experience at international level is an advantage.
- He/she should be in sound health with the ability to work under pressure in a cross-cultural & complex environment, diplomatic framework;
- Ability to travel and undertake short term trips to various localities;
- Capacity to analyze complex situations, to make proposals and report are important factors.
- Knowledge of policies related to conflict, post-conflict operations, peace-building.
- Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems
- Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments
- Observing deadlines and achieving results
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges
- Remain calm in stressful situations.
2.) Planning and organising
- Proven ability to work under pressure and to use limited resources effectively,
- Ability to operate effectively across organisational and country boundaries
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic work environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Proven ability to collaborate with colleagues to achieve organisational goals.
- Excellent communication skills (written and spoken in French, English or Portuguese), including ability to draft/edit a variety of reports.
Candidates should not be 50 years old or over at the point of recruitment and must be a citizen of one of the ECOWAS member states.
Must be fluent in one of the official languages of the Commission; English, French and Portuguese. A working knowledge of another would be an advantage.
Application Closing Date
28th January, 2013
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates download the application form, fill it and send it together with their CV as an email attachment to : email@example.com
Note: Please do not attach your certificates to the application Email. Any application received after the vacancy closing date will not be considered