The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations. We work in over 100 countries worldwide to build engagement and trust for the UK through the exchange of knowledge and ideas between people.
We are looking for a suitable candidate to fill the below position:
Job Title: Communications Manager
Department/Country Marketing and Communications, Nigeria
Location of post: Abuja
Purpose of job
To support the effective delivery of British Council Nigeria programmes and projects by working with the Marketing and Communications team to develop, launch, deliver and evaluate marketing projects which maximise the profile of the British Council in Nigeria.
Context and environment
- Nigeria is the British Council’s largest operation in SSA with offices in 4 cities from Port Harcourt in the south to Kano in the north.
- It delivers activity in all our Strategic Business Units, (Arts, English, Education and Society), and operates with both internal and external resources.
- The Directorate is managed by a Country Director, supported by a Deputy Director and a group of 4 senior managers responsible for different programme functions, ( Country Exams Manager, Director Kano, Asst Director Nigeria (Arts) and Asst Director Nigeria (Education). There will also be a further (fixed term) post responsible for our work in English.
Accountabilities, responsibilities and main duties
(including people management and finance)
- Responsible for managing the performance and development of the Assistant Communications Manager and Planning and Evaluation Manager.
- Responsible for timely and effective management of Marketing and Communications budgets.
- Manage delivery of the marketing mix for British Council Nigeria projects and programmes.
- Contribute to the development of new marketing opportunities particularly digital offers.
- Manage internal relations to ensure effective communication of projects and programmes.
- Oversee and provide guidance to internal customers on communications, branding and marketing standards for programs, projects and events.
- Ensure that the Assistant Director and Senior Leadership Team are updated on Communications activity.
- Work with the Assistant Director to continuously improve British Council Nigeria Marketing and Communications strategy.
- Oversee the development, implementation and management of all British Council Nigeria digital activity including websites, social media and other digital resources used to promote our work.
- Working with the Partnerships Manager to design effective marketing material which support the development of new partnerships.
Internal: Assistant Director (Education), All Senior Leadership Team, programmes and Exams staff, Regional Marketing, Communications team
External: Media, Digital Customers,
Skills and Knowledge
- Strong editing and proof-reading skills.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong IT skills.
- Experience with non-profit fund raising.
- Experience of managing staff.
- Project management knowledge.
- Short listing and interview
- Experience with managing digital media for marketing and corporate communications.
- Experience of producing marketing material or other published material.
- Short listing and Interview
A first degree or equivalent with Post-graduate degree in a related field
Membership of relevant professional bodies
N 6,468,161 gross per annum
Application Closing Date
2nd January, 2013
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should read through the Job Profile Document Here and Download and complete the application form. The completed application form should be sent to:
Note: Only applications received on the British Council application form will be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We will not accept CVs.