UNDP Recruits Programme Coordinator, Development Assistance Management and Donor Coordination jobs vacancies National Planning Commission Nigeria 2013
Job Title: Programme Coordinator, Development Assistance Management and Donor Coordination – National Planning Commission
Location : Abuja, NIGERIA
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Duration of Initial Contract : Initial duration of one year
The Programme Coordinator, Development Assistance Management and Donor Coordination at the National Planning Commission (NPC) provides technical guidance in the areas of strategic policy design and planning, provision of sound technical policy advice and guidance on national economic reforms programmes especially; the Nigeria Vision 20:2020, the Transformation Agenda and the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). He/She is responsible for enhancing technical capacity, policy effectiveness, institutional responsiveness and operational performance at the National Planning Commission (NPC) and its parastatals, proving high-level expert technical support to MDAs which is pivotal to the achievement of the federal government’s development goals and policy priorities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Advice to the Honourable Minister on economic and development issues
- Advice to MDAs and other stakeholders and facilitation of knowledge building on economic planning and development issues in the country
- Building strategic partnerships with development partners and ensuring optimal development assistance management and coordination.
- Advocacy and promotion of the government’s development agenda (Vision 20:2020, Transformation Agenda and SURE-P)
Provides advice to support National Planning Commission Minister and Staff on key economic and development issues,
- Compilation, analysis and interpretation of economic and statistical data, through research of the economic and development issues in the country and production of relevant reports aimed at promoting equitable economic growth and human development in the country.
- Provision of top quality analysis and substantive inputs to economic planning and related issues for the National Planning Commission
- Elaboration of the National Planning Commission’s strategic planning agenda.
Provides advice to MDAs and other stakeholders and facilitation of knowledge building on economic planning and development issues in the country
- Providing technical support on development plan formulation, implementation and monitoring including capacity building of relevant public sector staff on plan formulation
- Managing the development, quality assurance and delivery of implementable work plans for aid/development assistance.
Building strategic partnerships with development partners and ensuring optimal development assistance management and coordination:
- Technical support and strategic policy advice on all matters relating to development partner engagement and coordination, and implementation of development assistance in Nigeria.
- Managing the development and delivery of implementable work-plans for aid/development assistance in Nigeria.
- Liaising with stakeholders on all issues relating to aid and technical assistance management and development partners coordination.
Advocacy and promotion of the government’s development agenda (Vision 20:2020, Transformation Agenda and SURE-P)
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to country’s developmental goals and activities.
- Monitor practices, and project-specific news and developments in order to ensure guidance to the office that reflects the best and most current available information.
- Provides advice and support to the National Vision 20:2020, Transformation Agenda, the SURE-P and government initiatives,
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks in development planning and aid coordination.
- Organization and provision of training, consultancy and advice to support staff on strategic planning and policy making.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on development planning at the National Planning Commission. . In particular, the key results have an impact on optimal development assistance management and coordination in line with Nigeria’s ODA policy/ Paris Declaration and Accra Agenda for Action.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
- Contributes to the elaboration of advocacy strategies by identifying and prioritizing audiences and communication mean
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for advocacy work
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Identifying and building partnerships
- Sensitizes national stakeholders, donors and other international organizations to the National Planning Commissions‘ strategic agenda, identifying areas for joint efforts
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Developing tools and mechanisms
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Continues to seeks new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Creating Visibility for the National Planning Commission
- Developing promotional projects and organizational messages
- Develops promotional activities based on monitoring/evaluation information identifying areas requiring higher visibility
- Develops messages for use by National Planning Commission staff when working with partners, internationally and nationally
- Reviews documents and materials intended for use within and outside the organization in order to ensure consistency and validity of messages
Global Leadership and Advocacy for the National Planning Commission
- Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Creates effective global advocacy messages/strategies
- Contributes to the elaboration of a global advocacy strategy by identifying and prioritizing audiences and messages
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise
- Developing innovative and creative approaches
- Leverages different experiences and expertise of team members to achieve better and more innovative outcomes
- Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters degree in Development Studies, Political Economy, Project Management or Economics.
- 10 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public sector strategic planning, policy development, aid management.
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is helpful but not mandatory. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages.
Application Closing Date
3rd January 2013
Method of Application
Qualified and Interested candidates should
Click Here To Apply Online