Grant Accountant jobs at Concern Universal Nigeria – Cross River Nigeria 2012
Concern Universal Nigeria is seeking experienced candidates to support the implementation of this programme under this category
Job Title: Grant Accountant (GSF – RUSHPIN)
Location: Based in Calabar, Cross River State, Nigeria. Inter State and up country travel required.
Responsible to: Finance Manager
Start Date: 1st February, 2013
Relationships with others: Will communicate and liaise closely with Concern Universal (CU) and GSF stakeholders, as necessary/ appropriate
- The Grant Accountant is responsible for designing and maintaining day-to-day financial operations of the GSF grant based on CU’s financial and administrative policies and procedures.
- The Grant Account will be responsible for petty cash of this grant, separate from others, bank and float and advances to sub-grantees, budgetary preparation and forecast, and reporting monthly financial performance
- A significant level of effort will be rendered in CU head office in Calabar, in addition to more work rendered in field offices and sub-grantee offices, to cover all operational systems.
- Executing this function will mean extensive travel to field locations, however this will be managed through consultation with the Finance Manager
Duties and Responsibilities
1.) Day – to – day Financial Operations of Concern Universal
- To administer the provision of transaction processing services for the GSF-RUSHPIN Programme, ensuring that all related payments (vendors, staff, contractors, consultants, etc) are made accurately and within agreed payment terms.
- To administer all cash handling arrangements for the GSF-RUSHPIN Programme;
- Ensure that payment vouchers are adequately coded, authorised and receipts attached
- Disburse cash (as appropriate) to staff from the cashbox
- Daily cash reconciliation and counts
- Maintain adequate level of cash is available and arrange for replenishment, as necessary.
- Maintain up-to-date cash book
- Daily update of the ledger
- To act as key reference point for financial queries relating to the operation of all GSF-RUSHPIN bank accounts. This will include:
- Opening and maintaining bank accounts as necessary
- Maintain up-to-date bank mandates and record of all forms relating to the programme bank account
- Monitoring the bank balance in each bank account and updating the ‘Bills & Payments’ spreadsheet immediately upon receipt of funds into the accounts account
- Collate Programme cash flow requirements/forecast and feed to Finance Manager for monthly funds drawdown form UK.
- Monthly bank reconciliation for the programme account
4.) Floats & Advances
- Administer staff floats ensuring overdue retirements are flagged up to the Finance Manager
- Administer sub-grantees’ floats, retirements and balances, ensuring proper records are maintained and balances are agreed with partners’ periodically (and ensuring overdue retirements are flagged up to the Finance Manager)
5.) Month End
- Administration of the month end process in relation to all programme transactions; ensuring all postings and reconciliations are completed to allow for timely reporting
- Preparation of monthly programme monitoring reports, as may be allocated by the Finance Manager
- Monthly budget tracking and preparation of budget variance analysis
- Monthly review of debtor accounts, ensuring appropriate repayments on debtor balances are no more than one month old.
6.) Programme Audits
- To liaise with auditors and provide them with required information, during field work of programme audits.
7.) Year End
- To prepare year-end reconciliations and schedules required for the annual audit and submit to the Finance Manager, within agreed deadlines
- To liaise with external auditors and provide required information, during field work of annual statutory audit
8.) Collaboration with:
- Finance Manager
- To work closely with the Finance Manager on;
- Developing and implementing/embedding improved Grant/Finance management Systems
- Preparation and drafting of monthly and annual budgets; and periodic forecasts
- Budget management and donor reporting (as may be required by the Finance Manager)
- Preparation of timely donor report.
- Other Programme Staff/Sub-Grantees
- Consolidate and post on to ledger, financial information/reports provided by sub-grantees and other field staff.
- Periodic field visits to field to/for;
- Training needs assessment and capacity building of sub-grantees
- Ensure proper records are being kept and adequate financial management systems are in place
- Support field staff and sub-grantees in understanding and adhering to GSF-RUSHPIN financial management systems and procedures
- To support and work with staff and sub-grantees and other external stakeholders, in understanding CU and GSF’s financial systems.
- To carry out any other duties that may be assigned by the Finance Manager &/or the Country Director.
- BSc or BA Accounting/Finance and at least part qualification in ACCA, AAT, ICAN or CIMA
- Minimum of three years relevant experience in a Finance/Accounts department.
- Proficient skills in the use of MS Office tools (minimum Word, Excel, Internet browsing/e-mail operations)
- Experience of training/coaching Finance and non-Finance staff,
- Experience of working with an e-Finance system
- Working experience of Sage Peachtree
- Practical problem solving skills in a difficult environment
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
Application Closing Date
20th December, 2012
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit completed application form to: email@example.com.
Note: CVs will not be acknowledged or accepted.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for panel interviews. All applications should be submitted before 4pm of the closing date.