MTN Foundation Scholarship for Blind Students in Nigeria 2012
The MTN Nigeria Foundation Limited by Guarantee (MTNF Ltd/Gte) was established by MTN Nigeria Communications Limited in July 2004 to drive MTN Nigeria’s Corporate Social investment (CSI) initiatives aimed at improving the quality of life in communities across the country.
Under the MTNF Scholarship Scheme for Blind Students, the Foundation currently provides financial support to 113 blind students in accredited public universities, polytechnics and colleges of Education across the six geopolitical zones in Nigeria. The scholarship award is worth N200,000.00 (Two Hundred Thousand Naira only) per student for the duration of one academic year and covers tuition, book allowance and stipend.
Application for the 2012/2013 session is now open and scholarships are available for an additional 100 blind students.
Scholarships will also be renewed for the existing 113 students provided they maintain a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.5 or its equivalent.
The MTN Foundation seeks to support high performing full time 200 level /2nd year or 300 level /3rd year blind students in public universities, colleges of education and qualifying students in public polytechnics. The scholarship is aimed at recognizing and rewarding academic excellence while providing financial assistance to blind students who might otherwise be unable to pay for their tertiary education,
1.) Blind students who depend on Braille
2.) 2nd or 3rd year full time undergraduates in public universities and colleges of education with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.5 or its equivalent (2.2).
3.) Full-time Polytechnic undergraduates in ND 2, HND 1 and HND 2 with a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 with one following:
- ND 1 result (For applicants currently in ND2)
- HND 1 result (For applicants currently in HND2)
- Admission letter to HND 1 with ND 2 result (For applicants currently in HND 1)
Course of Study
Applications are welcome from blind students who are studying any course in a public higher institution
New scholarships will be made available to qualified and successful candidates from all states of the Federation including the Federal Capital Territory (FCT)
How to Apply
Interested students who meet any of the aforementioned criteria are required to collect a copy of the application EITHER fromthe Dean of Students Affairs in their respective institutions OR at the Anglo-Nigerian Welfare Association for the Blind (ANWAB) office at 25, Herbert Macaulay Street, Alagomeji,Yaba, Lagos
Interested students are required to return the application forms to the Project Coordinator, Economic Empowerment Unit, MTN Foundation, Golden Plaza (2nd Floor), Falomo, lkoyi, Lagos.
Applications can also be sent via email to:
- Incomplete applications will be disqualified
- An admission letter from the institution of study for the HND program (This applies to polytechnic students only)
- Names of successful candidates will be published in national dailies
- Familes and friends of blind students are to encourage their wards to apply
- Applicants who are already beneficiaries of any other scholarship scheme will not be considered
- Upon receipt of applications from interested students, MTNF will evaluate and shortlist qualified candidates who will subsequently be invited for a verification exercise. They will be required to submit two(2) passport photographs, as well as the original and a photocopy of the following documents:
- Valid student identity card
- Duly signed transcript from the Head Of Department
- Admission letter from JAMB
For more information please visit our website at www.mtnonline.com/mtnfscholarship
Please note that the MTN Nigeria Foundation does not use any placement agency nor do we charge applicants an advance fee of any kind (e.g. application fees, placement fees, test fees etc.)
A Braille version of this announcement will be available in various universities, colleges of education, polytechnics and at the Anglo Nigerian Welfare Association for the Blind (ANWAB) office in Lagos and various states.
Entries Closing Date
All applications must be received before Friday, November 16, 2012.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY SHORT-LISTED APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED AND MTNF BEARS SOLE RESPONSIBILITY FOR FINAL SELECTION OF SUCCESSFUL AWARDEES